Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Smiles Mean the Most!

Going to the village of Otho Abwao with EWB was an experience I will never forget. That's a good thing!

As a senior I felt that it was a little late for me to join the EWB group, and I wasn't sure where to direct my efforts into the organization. I had heard a great deal about the implementation trip, but since I had not done much with the group yet, I wasn't sure that this was the right opportunity for me to start my involvement. With much hesitation, I decided to give it a shot, and spoke to Andy, the President of EWB-UCIN, about joining the other students on the implementation trip. That was the best decision I had made all year! It is NEVER too late to get involved. I spent the next four months ironing out the last details of the design and preparing myself for a trip that I knew would have a tremendous impact on my life to come.
I have always enjoyed participating in service work and helping others - the biggest reward being those beautiful smiling faces - however, actually designing the project that is to be implemented, creates a very different feeling. A much more rewarding feeling.

It was my first trip to Africa, and my first trip to any developing nation, and while I had an idea of what to expect; there were, as you can imagine, still many things that took me by surprise. Nothing can prepare you for the sights of the vast lands in Kenya: The baboons sitting in the road, the acres of tea plantations, the rundown shops lining the roads, the locals riding by with 5 Jerry cans on their bicycles, the poverty. Going to Africa and seeing these things first hand has created a feeling in me, that I hope I can never forget. It has encouraged me to continue in doing these kinds of projects, and contribute all I can to help the nations that need it most. Every little bit helps.

The most touching memory I have of Otho Abwao, was on the last full day we spent in the village. Almost all we could do had been done, and while we knew we would not be able to see the final product of all our hard work we also knew that Dan would stay until the job got done. A few of the students and villagers were digging one of the last trenches. A trench which had to be dug in very compact soil, because it was at one of the "roads" in the village. People came and went, to watch and to help, children included. One boy in particular (probably about 13 years of age) was working very hard to help dig. As we were both digging - and sweating - he stopped and looked over at me. I could tell he was trying to say something while catching his breath. He looked as exhausted as I felt and I though he might have hurt himself (or be ready to fall over at any moment). Instead - he mustered out the words... "Could I please have a pen?" - The smile that appeared on his face when I gave him that pen, will forever stick in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment