Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Lesson I Never Found in a Classroom


What a way to kick off a college career. Six months after my terrifying first big time college class, I found myself standing in Kenya with a group of advanced engineering students and their professor. If you had told me six months ago that I would be going through with this, it would have appeared quite the daunting pressure situation. It retrospect, though, it was exactly the converse: this implementation trip was one of the most educational and revealing experiences I've ever had the privilege of taking on.
On a relatively superficial level, I certainly deepened my engineering education during our stay in Kenya. I saw a complete design that previously existed only on paper and computer screens come into reality as networks of HDPE and GI pipe were constructed. I learned the calculations and considerations behind the design and how the system worked. I witnessed a bit of impromptu engineering as the group adapted the roof structure to fit the tanks (the original design for the roof was overlooked by the contractors who built the tanks). Finally, I learned to interface with suppliers, contractors, and clients in order to complete a project that is satisfactory to every party involved. Doubtless, all these facets are vital to my career development and education if I am ever to become a succesful and effective engineer, and I look forward to future EWB experiences to shape me into a more complete engineer.

I think the even more valuable insight, however, comes on a deeper, perhaps philosophical, platform. This was my first international experience (I don't count a trip to Niagara Falls as international), and my first experience as a minority. I've never been able to witness first-hand how people outside our borders live their lives. What struck home hardest for me (sorry to repeat the words of other posts) was the attitudes and demeanors of the members of the Otho Abwao community. Scroll through the pictures of the residents; there really is not a single sad or dejected face in the group. These people are perfectly happy and content with the lives they lead, difficult as they are by our standards. Is this simply because they have never experienced a more lavish lifestyle in a more developed country? Perhaps. But I think it is better explained by the culture of the area, summed up by a quote from Ghandi: "Live simply, so others can simply live." As our American culture advises us to continually search for that better life, where the grass is greener on the other side of the hill, there is a clear lesson to be learned from these people. The knowledge that they are content and satisfied with the lives they lead did somewhat ease my shock of how difficult their lives are compared to mine, but it does not change the morality of the situation. The world has an ethical obligation to extend a hand to this and other developing nations to help them to the level of technology, health care, sanitation, etc. the rest of the world enjoys today. Indeed, the world cannot afford to leave these peoples behind: it would miss out on too many valuable cultures and brilliant minds (the water technicians we trained were asking much more intelligent questions than I ever came up with). This is a very tricky and complicated issue to take hold of, as I saw on this trip. Most attempts only scratch the surface of the issue by providing money, labor, and supplies, but don't even consider offering education or adapting the projects to fit into the culture of the area. I look forward to continue working in EWB to bring comprehensive solutions to these problems. After all, that is what engineers do: solve problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment